Saturday, April 23, 2011

Kids Korner: Garden Aprons

Today we decided to plant the flower seeds we bought last week. Although Taevyn wanted to plant vegetables (which I would’ve liked to, maybe he would eat them if he planted them), I told him it was a little to late and we’d have to do it next year.

Planting Flowers 011

Well, I decided to make garden aprons for them.
Planting Flowers 007
Planting Flowers 006

For Taevyn’s, I followed The DIY Dish’s video tutorial using a placemat and some ribbon. (I’m so buying the DVD!) So easy a caveman can do it!

Since London thinks she has to have and do everything that Taevyn has or does, I made her one too. However, a placemat is way to big for a 2 1/2 year old, so I used a washcloth and some fabric, using the same tutorial as inspiration to make it. Would you like to know how I did it?

Materials:
Washcloth
Coordinating or Contrasting Fabric
Ribbon (1 - 1 1/2” wide, I used the 1 1/2”)
Sewing Machine
Coordinating/Contrasting Thread
Chopstick or Pencil
Fray Check, Lighter, Glue

Directions:
1.) Cut the hem off of the entire washcloth. Measure and cut the fabric to the same size as the washcloth.

2.) With right sides together, sew using a 1/4” seam allowance. (Since the washcloth is already pre-cut, you want to use a smaller seam allowance or you’ll have a tiny apron). Be sure to pivot the corners and leave a gap for turning.

3.) Cut the corners of each side, being sure to NOT cut the seams. Turn inside out and using the chopstick or pencil, push out the corners for a nice finish. Sew the gap closed.

4.) Measure the ribbon around the recipient and cut the appropriate length to use for the “belt” of the apron. I always cut a piece a little longer. If it’s to long, I can cut it to a shorter length when I’m done. Remember, you can’t add to the ribbon once it’s cut.

5.) Place and pin the ribbon about an 1/8”-1/4” down on the washcloth side. For the fabric that only goes one way, be sure you have your fabric upside down and backwards. You’ll understand why on the next step. If you have fabric that can go any which way, you won’t have to worry about it.

Sew the ribbon in place using a zig-zag stitch across the top and bottom.

6.) Take the bottom of the washcloth and fold up, right under the ribbon. This is why you want to be sure the fabric is upside down. If it were right side-up, it would’ve been upside down when you folded it up. If you look at London’s apron, the butterflies and bird would’ve been on the backside of the apron and facing down. Since I wanted the butterfly and bird to be on the front, I simply made sure it was upside down when sewing the ribbon on the apron. Does that make sense?

Pin the sides together and sew using a 1/4” seam allowance and a zig-zag stitch.. (If you fold right sides together, it gets a little bulky because of the washcloth. I’m sure you can cut out the extra fabric to not make it not so bulky, but this is the way I did it. Plus, I used a contrasting color to give it a bit more “oomph!”)

7.) Try it on your little one and see if you need to cut the ribbon down. After it’s cut, treat the ends with fray check, lighter, glue, whatever your preferred method is.

8.) Optional step: To make two pockets, sew up the middle using a zig-zag stitch. Stop before you reach the ribbon.

9.) Go put this on your little one and start planting (or tending) to your garden!

Planting Flowers 011

If you have any questions, please be sure to ask! Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Love the fabric on London's apron - perfect for gardening and outdoor activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! And good directions too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havе beеn surfing onlіne gгeater
    thаn 3 houгs lаtely, yet I by no
    mеans fοund any attentіon-grаbbing aгticle
    likе youгs. It is lovеlу pгice suffiсient for
    me. In my opinion, if all ѕite
    owners and bloggeгs made excellеnt
    сontent materiаl as you did, the net ωill liκеly
    be a lot morе helpful than evеr before.


    Ηerе is my websitе :: garden

    ReplyDelete