Friday, April 8, 2011

Experimenting With Food

If you know me, you know how much I despise being in the kitchen. Don’t get me wrong, I can cook, bake, fry, whatever, but I just don’t enjoy it. I truly believe God has a sense of humor, because he gave me this talent. So, I decided to embrace this talent for a couple of reasons: 1.) I’m getting tired of eating the same things over and over and 2.) It gives me a little challenge to find fast recipes. Seriously, I’m not a happy person if I have to spend more than 45 min on a meal. Cooking to me is like a chore. It has to be done whether I like it or not. So, I just wanted to share just a few of the things I made this week.

Chimichangas
I found a recipe for Chimichangas on the Kraft website and so I made it for dinner Monday night. They were pretty good. I’m not big of fried foods, but these sort of reminded me of the Crisp Meat Burritos served at one of my favorite restaurants in Lincoln called “Amigo’s”. Boy do I miss that place! Jeff liked these too. The kids…not so much! These will either never be made again, or made when the kids aren’t around.

Indian Tacos 001
Last night I made Indian Tacos.

Indian Tacos 002
Although they are not the same as my Grandma’s, they were really good. Again, these were fried, but the good thing is, the bread doesn’t taste fried. Plus, I ran out of my Canola oil, so I ended up using Olive Oil, which is healthier. These will be made more often than the chimichangas, but not quite often. I’m not planning on dying anytime soon, so I’m going to limit my chances of a coronary by not making these all the time! Jeff and Taevyn liked these.  Which is a shocker, since Taevyn is the pickiest kid I’ve ever known. He’s so picky, he won’t even eat the french fries in his Happy Meal. Don’t ask!  London only eats the toppings of such foods. You should see her burritos. She opens them up, eats the insides and tosses the shells. Maybe one day she’ll eat them.

PB&J Banana Sammies 001
I decided to even try a new snack for the kids. I found this recipe from the PopTart website. It’s called the “PB&J Banana Sammies”. The kids loved them! Grape poptart + peanut butter + a banana =

PB&J Banana Sammies 003
Two Thumbs Up! Me on the other hand, I’m not a fan of peanut butter. In fact, I have to hold my breath when I open the can. Yeah, I know, it’s weird. But hey, at least I’m not depriving my kids because I don’t like it.

I’ll be posting my garage sale finds this weekend. I know, I’ve been way behind on it, but I was so busy last week and London was sick this week. It’s pretty impossible to take pictures with a fussy toddler. I could’ve taken pics during her nap time, but her naps haven’t been very long. Hopefully she’ll let me today!

3 comments:

  1. Those first two recipes look very yummy and my kids would LOVE the poptart recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both look really good (not sure about the Pop Tart thing).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny I cleaned the fride today and tossed a bag from Amigo's. Gotta have the 5/5 on the 5th tacos. :)
    I still think it's odd that someone who loves food can hate to cook. (and should we mention NEVER gains a pound)
    Give me a talent, just one and I would use it! Hope London feels better!
    ~K

    ReplyDelete