Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Did I Win the Bet?

Franklin President Set 004

I know I told you that I love thrifting with Jeff! He really does have an eye for some valuable things, so he knows what to look for. He does spend a lot of time watching Pawn Stars, American Pickers (which I got him started on, thankyouverymuch!), and Storage Wars. Those shows do come in handy!

Franklin President Set 001

When we went to a garage sale a couple of weeks ago, one was on our list, but it really didn’t look to promising. Since Jeff can only go on Sundays, we’re very limited to what’s out there. There are a very few that are Sunday Only’s and then there are some that are Saturday & Sundays. This one was the latter, so most of the stuff was already gone. Jeff wanted to stop anyway, so he took Taevyn with him, while I stayed in the car with London.

Franklin President Set 003

Lo and behold, Jeff finds in a box a Franklin Mint Presidential Commemorative Coin set. This had to be from the 60’s because the last President was LBJ. Some of the coins were a little tarnished, but overall, they were in pretty neat condition. The front cover had come off, but it did come with the original case. Jeff bought this for $5. Apparently this was in a box of a relative of the garage sale owner.

Franklin President Set 002

When we got home, Jeff looked on eBay to see if they had any value. Sure enough, they were going for anywhere from $175-$200. But, it wasn’t because it was Franklin Mint. It was because they were silver! He ended up taking them to a coin shop and sold them for $200. I don’t know about you, but turning $5 into $200 is my idea of turning a profit!

Austrian-Hungarian Medals - 20

Then there were these. When he bought them, they were actually in a frame. We knew they were old because the tape in the back was dirty, falling apart, and just plain cruddy. He took them out and took them to the coin shop. Guess what? I WON THE BET!!!! To me, they just didn’t feel like silver, not that I know what silver feels like, but comparing them to the presidential coins, it just felt…well, different!

Now I get to watch him put a dress on and dance down the street!!!That will teach him to mess with me! LOL! Just kidding! I would never make him do that, but I don’t have to worry about supper for the rest of the week! I’d take that favor any day!

2 comments: