Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Rodney White’s Vintage Cherry Poster

I’m so thrilled I FINALLY got this project done. Afterall, I’ve only had the print for a month! Let me start from the beginning.

I received Ballard Designs catalog a few months ago and saw this poster:
Pictures 001

I wanted it soooo bad! Then, one day I was browsing around eBay and found the 24x24 print! I was so excited I almost peed my pants! (Just kidding, but I was thrilled!) Of course when I bought it, it was $25. But now it is $19! So, if you want one, you better hurry, there’s only 6 left (as of the time I’m writing this post that is.)

Of course, since it is only a print and not a canvas, I figured I could just make one myself, right? Of course. So, I bought these:
Pictures 002
Four canvas frame side things at Hobby Lobby which are also included in the 30% off canvas sale. (Canvas’ were on sale last week, but they go on sale almost every other week.) Each piece was $1.69 not including the sale price. (Sorry, bad at math!) Ignore that particular drop cloth. I bought this at the $ Tree and it was plastic. :o( I ended up buying a canvas drop cloth at Lowes for a little over 5 bucks. Then I took some Mod Podge and glued my print to my handmade canvas. Oh, I also forgot, I had to buy a stapler and staples. Not the ordinary stapler, but the ones used for canvases. You could also use your heavy duty stapler. I just didn’t have one. I bought my canvas stapler at HL also using my 40% off coupon and the staples. The stapler was $7.99 (w/o the coupon) and the package of staples was $1.99.

Okay, so on to the project. I connected my frame pieces together, then stapled the canvas drop cloth to it. I started on one side, then did the side directly across from it. You do NOT want to start one side, then do the side directly next to it. Trust me, you won’t get it tight enough. (Not that I made that mistake then had to take some kind of funky tool to get the staples out.) As you’re stapling the canvas to the back, be sure to pull as tight as you possibly can. You want a nice tight fit. Then trim the canvas all the way around.
Pictures 015(Don’t mind the paint on top. I forgot to take pics and when I remembered, I had already started painting.)

Then I painted the sides and a bit of the top using Americana’s Acrylic Paint in Santa Red. (Who knew a Christmas color would match so perfect with this print?!) After it dried, I “antiqued” the sides using Anita’s Acrylic Paint in Burnt Umber. I used the dry brush technique with a sponge brush, just lightly going over the sides and corner. (Sorry, I don’t have a picture.) I wanted that aged dirty look like in the print.
Pictures 013

After all the paint dried, I lined my print up with the frame to make sure it was where I wanted it to be. Here’s a couple of hints though. My print came rolled up, so naturally it wanted to stay rolled up. I then just rolled it backwards so it would sit mostly flat. When I lined it up with my frame, I used some cans to keep it in place while I lined the print up on my frame. Also, if your frame is lop-sided like mine was, I took a hammer and tapped it straight. Really, I should’ve done this before I attached the drop cloth, but that’s how we learn, right? But, it didn’t affect the cloth at all. (Whew!)
Pictures 018

I used Mod Podge to attach the print to the canvas. After I applied the glue, I turned the whole thing upside down and used my brayer to get the air bubbles out from behind. It’s easier to get them out since the print sits against the table. The frame will raise the canvas so it makes it harder to get the air bubbles out. After I did this to the back, I turned the whole thing back over again, then used my brayer to get the air bubbles out from the frame. (Okay, so I forgot to take a picture of me gluing, but we all know what that looks like, right?)

Here is the finished project in my kitchen/kitchenette:
Pictures 019 (My walls really are NOT this yellow. Hopefully I’ll get my good camera back very soon!)

Pictures 023

What do you think? Not to shabby, huh? I love it. I have to move my table over just a bit and I do realize my frame on the right is a bit high, and I have to “decorate” my table, but that’s next. And please, don’t mind the candy cane sticks from Christmas, I have no idea why they are still there. Oh, and I know I have bar and wine stuff. I don’t drink. I promise. I used to collect the stuff because I think barware and and wine stuff is just so neat. My dining room in my last place was a winery theme and it was pretty cool! Anyway, this is currently my favorite part of my kitchen and I’m so excited to get the rest of this place done!

Okay, so I just used a calculator to figure out what I spent for this project. Grand Total: $47.50!!!! Of course that’s not including any taxes, but it does count the shipping cost for the print. But still that so beats $249!!!! I think that just made me fall in love with this even more! An under $50 project. Ah Bliss!

I hope you have a wonderful day my friends!!!

UPDATE:  Jeff didn’t like the picture on the right. And I totally agreed. So I went to Google Images and found an image that would match perfectly. Check it out:
Vintage Cherry Poster 007

Vintage Cherry Poster 008

Much better if I do say so myself!

3 comments:

  1. Very cool....turned out perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is awesome!! you did a fantastic job...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this! The colors and vintage feel are fantastic. I've been missing your posts, hope the new computer allows you to post some more of your awesome creations... soon :) heehee!

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete