Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Nifty Thrifty: A Table For My Kitchenette

WOW!!! I can't believe it's already December! Where has the time gone? It feels like Thanksgiving was last week! Well, while time has been flying by, I have been busy doing a little Thrift Store shopping. Well, mainly at Goodwill, so today I thought I'd share what I found a couple weekends ago.


Since moving into our house, we have yet to fill it with furniture. I mean come on, living in a two-bedroom apartment with little living space, a person just doesn't have much to begin with. So, moving into a huge two-story home, what was I to do on a thrify budget? I get jealous! Just kidding! But I do see so many people out there who get furniture for free or near free. But they're lucky! They have a vehicle (or access to one at least) to accomodate these great finds. It kind of makes me wish I had asked for a truck instead of a convertible for Mother's Day a few years ago. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my car, it's just I didn't think a truck would've been a lot more handy in the future. *Sigh* One day I'll get my truck.

Anyway, when I went Goodwillin' (as my Grandma calls it!) with my Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin, I found this awesome table. I figured it would go perfect in my kitchenette...well, until I get my buffet. I didn't realize until later that it's a baby changing cart! LOL! That goes to show you how much I pay attention! HAHA! So, I bought it, but when it came time to get it into my little Mercury Milan** (which is our other car, not my convertible), it was to big! So, my Aunt asked a good associate if they had an allen wrench so we could take it apart. Thank goodness they did, or I didn't know what I was gonna do! After I got it home, I sanitized it real good, took it apart and spray painted it an ivory color. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture after I was done, but once I get this area all decked out, I'll post about it.

(If you look closely at the table, you can see it's already been painted.)

I also bought a wicker tray (that I ended up spray painting with Krylon's Cherry Red), the candy jar, and these plates. I LOVE these plates! They remind me of the tin mug my Grandpa used to drink out of when I was little. They go perfect with the look I'm trying to achieve in my kitchen! I also bought 5 of those dollar tree candles (you know, those ones that have the saints on them, but these are plain) but forgot to put them on the table. They were $0.50/ea, so it was like getting them half off! Love it when I get a good deal! I've done more shopping since, so I'll post those soon!

**You're probably wondering why I have double astericks by the Mercury Milan! Well, my Aunt cracks me up! She asked if it was our car of the month! LOL! Pretty much. You see, Jeff sells cars. And he's pretty good at it! I say it's because he's honest. Anyway, since he's been selling cars (5 years now), we've bought five cars. Yeah, we average about a new car a year! But, to be fair, his second Fusion I totalled by hitting 2 deer at 4 in the morning going back to Nebraska for an emergency! But that's a whole 'nother story! In fact, I have a story for the last three cars we bought. But I won't go into that now!

Well, I'll stop boring you with my memories! Have a great day everybody!

2 comments:

  1. I love going Goodwillin' (what a clever thing to call it btw)! Great finds, the wicker tray is my favorite. :)

    FYI: Craigslist often has free furniture, and you can usually find someone on craigslist to deliver for a reasonable rate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! love that story! Sounds like something that I would do :) Hope you are enjoying decorating you nest :)

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete