Monday, September 13, 2010

This Is Gonna Be Big!!!

Soooo, how was your weekend? Mine was fantabulous!!! I finished the invitations for Taevyn's Ultimate Army Party! And they came out pretty well if I do say so myself! I sort of "scraplifted" if you will, from a Paper Crafts magazine I bought a few years back. It's from the Birthday edition. I used the basic concept of what they had, but still, made it my own. Ever since I saw the ideas for an Army Party, I was hoping that Taevyn would someday want one. And that time has finally come! Let's just say I'm thankful for his Uncle Matt for being his hero. Otherwise I may never have gotten to do this party! Here's a mini tutorial:

I had to make my own file folder template using a manila folder as a guide. My template measures approx 5x7. I downloaded this Top Secret font for free! (I {heart} free stuff!) Then I had to print the "Official Orders" on a regular piece of paper, position the folder over the words and lightly tape it, then run it through the printer again. FIFTEEN TIMES! Seriously, I was closing my eyes really tight and crossing my fingers that they wouldn't mess up. I really didn't want to have to start over. Then I used my rounded corner punch to round the corners. I inked the edges with brown ink (inside and out), cut strips out of camo patterned paper, cut circles out and distressed (the circles are 1 1/2" and 1"), and then added a star sticker. Then I used my label maker to make the "Duty 1st" labels for the tab. Not to shabby, eh?

Then I cut out a liner out of an army green textured cardstock. I printed out a map online (mainly for ambience), made a pocket for the map, and stamped "base location" with some letter stamps I bought for a dollar at Joann's Fabric. The word "Patriot" comes from some patterned paper I got from Hobby Lobby. Each invitation has a different word such as "Courage," "Leadership," "Honor," etc. I printed the party details on a Word doc using multiple text boxes. I forgot to take a picture of the second page, but it has the "Important Notice" information such as Qualifications, Survival Gear, Confirmation, etc. If you want me to, I can take a picture of it and add it to this. I used this site as inspiration for the actual invite. They have free printables, but because I knew how I wanted my invitation to look, I had to design my own. Since I didn't have the guests addresses (they are Taevyn's classmates), I made up a military one. I also didn't get their last names in time, but I HAD to get these done so he could pass them out today.

As for the envelope, I bought a package of 6x9 manila envelopes from Walmart. I'm so glad I bought the package that had 25 in them. Feeding these suckers through the printer was difficult! I messed up a few times and the extras were nice to have! I designed the front using Word again. I also used a bunch of text boxes and Photoshop brushes to make the "Confidential" and "Priority" stamps and the "Postage" stamps. I had to turn them into Jpegs, then insert them into text boxes as a picture file in Word. As for the Dept of Defense seal (and the Army seal on the invite), I just googled the seals images. Then I printed them out and viola! My almost official envelopes!

I had so much fun making these and I hope the kids will want to come to his party! It will be ULTIMATE! So, stay tuned for more on this party!
I'm linking this to:


Making CreativeShareWednesdays

3 comments:

  1. Those are super cute!! What a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did a great job, I bet the boys were so excited! So nice to see you again on Craft Schooling Sunday, hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh* You are just so darn creative! Thank you so much for the info on the Cricut...I absolutely can't wait to get one! Then maybe I can be half as crafty as you! I appreciate you joining my link party this week!

    ReplyDelete