Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Handmade Birthday

I hope everybody had a chillaxin' Labor day weekend! I know I did! On Sunday, the four of us celebrated London's birthday! Since we didn't have an actual party, I wanted to make it special for her. So what does a crafty mother do to make it special? She makes things of course!

London has been into fairies as of late. Ever since she saw a small clip of the new Tinkerbell movie, she has been making me read her Fairyland book every night. At least three times! (Good thing it's only 5 pages long with 2 sentences every other page!) So I decided to give her a little "Tinkerbell" party! Here's a "tour" if you will:


Before we get to the outfit, let me show you the cake. Be warned, I am by no means a cake decorator. In fact, I'm not even a cake baker. This is actually a strawberry cake (from a box) with cream cheese frosting (from a plastic canister) sprayed with Wilton's Green Color Mist. But, I did write the "Happy Birthday London!" in yellow cake gel (from a tube).

Then I bought a set of the Tinkerbell fairies for $10 from Walmart. I knoooow! Ten bucks! But first, she's my little girl, and second, she gets to play with these for a little bit before I pack them with her second birthday memorabilia, and third, poor girl didn't even get a birthday party. I kind of felt bad, but since I didn't have the extra expense of a party, I was able to splurge just a little bit. Seriously, did I have to explain? Probably not, but it makes me feel better that I can justify the ten dollars. Okay then, moving on with my badself!

To start out with her little ensemble, I first made her a birthday hat using a template from the Lovely Paper Blog. I cut out the number "2" using my Cricut and the Plantin SchoolBook cartridge.

I then bought some Tinkerbell stickers that were on clearance for $1 at Walmart. I had to use the one with the attitude, well, because my daughter is like that. Yep. She's got a big attitude. That's just my luck! But I still love her!

Here's the top of her head. She actually wanted to wear it. When I put it on her, I thought she was going to want it off until it donned on me that she LOVES hats. Any kind of hats. She's a hat girl. Don't ask! I have no idea! HAHA! Unfortunately, she kept moving when I was trying to tie it on and so the hat kept falling off. That's why you only get a picture with the top of her head. Bummer. I know! Just wait until the end though. You'll see!

I bought this badge (that has lights and all) from Walmart for $1.50.

And I made this image using photoshop. So what do you do with a badge, an image, some ribbon, and some felt?

You make a birthday badge of course! So there is a flaw. I didn't cut the ends before I glued them on, so they are a bit awkward looking. It's the thought that counts though, right? Oh come on, just nod your head "yes" and smile real big!

Speaking of flaws! Her dress did NOT come out how I was hoping. I bought another Tinkerbell bandana and attempted to make a pillowcase dress. It just didn't want to work with me this time. You can't really tell in this picture, but it came out so bad. The back looked like she was wearing a superhero cape it was so wide. Yeah, I was so embarrassed that I didn't even want to take a picture. Let's move on to the next item, shall we? Lets!

You see these shoes? I bought them at, again, Walmart for $5. Of course I cut the bows off before I took a picture. Yep. I get momnesia once in awhile. Okay, who am I kidding? I get it quite often. Anyhow, so I bought these shoes and you know what I did with them?

That's right! I made Tinkerbell shoes! This was my favorite project. Probably because it was the easiest. I just spray painted the shoes, glittered the trim part (if that's what you call it) and added big white pom poms! Easy as pie! London loves these shoes so much that she has to wear them EVERYWHERE! That right there was probably the best $5 I spent on her.

And here's my birthday girl all decked out and ready to PAR-TAY! Okay, not really. She wasn't feeling all that hot that day. But she did enjoy opening the presents. But then again, if I were feeling a bit under the weather, presents would help me a lot too. Don't lie, you know it's true! HA!

As for the birthday cake, she didn't want any! Gasp! I know! Who's kid is she? She just wanted to play with the fairy decorations instead. And that's why I don't have a picture of her eating her cake. Hopefully next year.

I hope you enjoyed our little "party". Well, the crafty part of it anyway. Next up. Taevyn's Ultimate Army party! Then I'm done with birthdays until next August when it starts all over! Have a good day everybody! And if you live in Texas, hopefully we can stay dry today!
I'm linking this to:

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday London!!! She is just about the cutest little one EVER. I think you did a great job with it all.But the Tinkerbell shoe's, yep my favorite too. Dang those are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY DANCE for you and little London!!! Awesome job on the fun details. I LOVE the hat. So cute!!!!

    And I would totally rock the Tink shoes everyday if I were her. Cutenes!

    ~Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tink shoes are adorable. To be honest I would never have thought to do that. Very creative Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love the shoes! How cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh those shoes are cute!!!! Great party!

    ReplyDelete