Monday, July 19, 2010

In The Kitchen: Brat Wraps

Hi All! I hope you had a good weekend! I know I did. You see, we bought a grill at Walmart for $35. It's a little charcoal grill, but I absolutely love it! Do you know the Kraft Food & Family magazines? I signed up for them a few years ago because you could get a 2 year subscription for free. I didn't continue after that expired because I really didn't really make any of the recipes although, there were a lot that I wanted to try. Although the subscription isn't available for free anymore, I'm still thinking of renewing it.

Anyway, they have a recipe in the Summer '09 edition that I HAD to try. It is the Brat Wraps recipe on page 23 in case you have this one.



It's funny because I've grilled before, but Jeff never did. Which is quite wierd, I think. I've only grilled the usual hamburgers and hot dogs though. Nothing fancy, but they were still yummy. I even was the cook at a work function, believe it or not. To this day, I still can't. I wish somebody would've taken a picture, because then I'd have proof, but that was ages ago. So, please understand that I had to take a picture of My Love grilling for the first time. EVER! I'm just glad he didn't burn our house down!


And now for the yummy part! Here is the picture of our finished wrap. Don't these look good?


Although these were good, there will be a few changes that we'll make next time. Would you like the recipe anyway? I thought you did. They are so easy and simple to make.


BRAT WRAPS
Ingredients:
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 2 bottles (12 oz, each) beer
  • 4 fully cooked bratwurst
  • 1 T A.1. Original Steak Sauce
  • 4 flour tortillas ((8 inch), warmed (we used the fajita size ones, it's all we had, still worked)
  • 4 Kraft Singles (we used cheddar)

Directions:
Heat grill to medium heat. Cook and stir onions in hot oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat 5 min. or until onions are golden brown; cover. Simmer on low heat 10 min.

Meanwhile, bring beer to boil in medium saucepan. Add bratwurst; cook 5 min. Drain bratwurst. Grill 4-5 min. or until heated through and browned, turning occasionally.

Stir steak sauce into onions. Top tortillas with Singles, onions and bratwurst; roll up.

Like I said, these were really good. A few changes that will be made next time:

  • I will use regular Budweiser, NOT Bud Light (apparently a light beer doesn't do it)
  • Instead of bratwurst, we're using polish dogs (I guess we'll have to call them Polish Wraps?)
  • I will watch the beer because it will boil over. Fast.

Overall, I give this an 8.5 out of 10. I will definitely make it again. If you try this, let me know what you think. Enjoy!

I'm linking this to:

Craft-O-Maniac


Making

4 comments:

  1. Brats are the best in terms of hot dogs for grilling and bbq's these look and sound so yummy. Thanks for linking up. Love your new header, hope you are enjoying all the fun stuff that comes with being a new home owner. Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made turkey brats last night. I would love to try this recipe. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good and a little fancier than the usual hot dog bun :) I love how you capture "My Love"s milestones on film :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in Wisconsin and was raised on Brats. My kids didn't like them for forever but now they all crave them and they go before the hamburgers. They would love these wraps. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete