Friday, July 23, 2010

Room By Room: Coolest Night Lights EVER!

When my kids go to bed at night, I have to leave a light on…well, two lights actually. For London, I have to leave her closet light on. Taevyn, I have to leave the bathroom light on because he doesn't have a light in his closet. I loathe the fact that all of this electricity is being wasted. I know I could've bought night lights for them, but whenever I go to the store, I just always seem to forget.

Then I bought a book called "The Big A$$ Book of Crafts" by
Mark Montano. Mark, who is part of the design team for TLC's While You Were Out, has a genius idea for the coolest night lights EVER! So I decided to make some. Check it out!

Frames by day...



Lights by night!!!



Aren't these just the best? I told you it was genius! You can make it to fit your home's style. Since Taevyn wants to do his room in Army décor, I had the perfect picture from when he was about 18 months old. Every time we went to my sister's house, he'd take off with my nephew's army hat and sport it the whole time. This picture is perfect. We're doing a Hollywood theme room for London and before we moved, I got a picture of her in her brother's shirt (which could pass for a dress on her), her hat, and my heels she just LOVES wearing! Perfect for this project!

This project only cost me around $6 each to make. Gotta love the price! I {heart} the dollar store! Here's how to make one for yourself, your kids, or as a gift!

Supplies:
About 50 Wooden clothespins (for 6x8 frame)
2 identical, flat wooden frames with square edges
Spray paint
Wood glue
Extension cord
Night light
Masking tape
Color-copied image to fit your frame
Craft knife

Directions:
Remove the metal springs from the clothespins. Paint the frames and clothespins. I only painted the front and sides of the frames. Then I painted all sides of the clothespins.

When the paint dries, frame your picture. I printed mine on plain printer paper that way the light illuminates better. You'll need to take out the back cardboard of the frame so that it is only the picture and the glass.

Take the glass out of the frame that will be the back of your light box. You won't need it anymore.

Stand your frames up on their sides one in front of the other, with the fronts of the frames facing the same direction.
Mark suggests: Prop the frames up with books or whatever it takes to keep them parallel to each other. I used a few thick books stacked.

To create the sides of the light box, put a layer of glue along the top edges of the frames. Place your clothespins facedown, across the frames and next to each other to make the first side of your box.

Let the glue dry, and repeat this process on each side of your frames until you have a box.

While the glue is drying, take your craft knife, cut out a 1/2" x 1/2" hole at the bottom of one of the cardboard pieces that came with the frames. This hole is for the extension cord to go through.

Fit the night light into the hole you've made, with the plugs coming out of the back of the cardboard. Secure the light with tape, then plug it into the extension cord. (You should have the night light on one side of the cardboard and the plug on the other.)

Replace the cardboard onto the back frame, with the extension cord coming out of the 1/2" x 1/2" hole.
Mark Warns (and so do I): Even though the night light is a low wattage, make sure that the bulb is not touching the cardboard and that the bulb is separated from the cardboard by the plastic shade. I also cut part of the cardboard where the bulb is just to be on the safe side. If you'd like to see, let me know and I'll take a picture of the back to show you what I did.

You're done! Now you have a wonderful piece of décor that is also functional!


I'm linking this to:
Craft Schooling Sunday @ Creative Jewish Mom
Craft-O-Maniac
The Girl Creative CreativeShareWednesdays

Life in the Pitts

giveaways

19 comments:

  1. Dang that is a really cool idea! I keep meaning to get that book and always forget.....gonna go get it now. I LOVE how it looks with the light going through, good idea on the print paper, I'm betting regular photo paper would be way to thick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a fun idea and wouldn't kids love this for night. I can see them wanting a picture of mom and dad too so they don't feel alone. My five year old granddaughter sleeps with a wedding picture of her parents that she scalped out of their book! She'd love this. Thanks for sharing on 504 Main.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS! Going to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is neat.

    Visiting by way of Tatertots & Jello

    ~Makalani
    www.MakazHome.com

    If you have any halloween inspiration you would like to add to our link party, check it out at http://makazhome.blogspot.com/2010/07/its-spooktacular-inspirational-parteeeh.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute!! Great idea. And thanks for dropping by my blog earlier ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! And they look adorable! Such a good idea we may be making some of these this weekend as surprisingly I have everything on hand!

    Cute blog! Meet your newest follower!!

    Love, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE THOSE, HOW CREATIVE AND SO DARLING! thanks so much for linking up too. Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! Thanks for visiting my blog, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great idea! What a fun night light for kids! My kids would go wild about this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. grab my "Featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is genius! My kids would love a personalized night light in their rooms! !Great job! Your blog is so cute with lots of fun ideas here! I'm a follower ...coming from Sassy Sites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're right, this is a great project! And so nice to see you again on Craft Schooling Sunday! all the best and enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!! That is brilliant!! I might have to make me something like that!! Hmmmmmmmmmm my brain is working on variations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! I got that book from the library once and I don't remember that being in there. I'm going to get it again! I featured these on my friday favorites!!
    http://lilbitofus.blogspot.com/2010/07/friday-favorites_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is soo cool!! I know my kids will love this night light, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome!

    I featured you here:
    http://firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com/2010/08/sunday-spotlight-soys-37-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to agree! That is the coolest night light ever! I think it would be great with just a pretty picture of a flower or a building too. If I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a silhouette of a person I might freak out! ;D

    Thanks for sharing it on Show and Tell Satruday!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love this idea! My son won't leave his nightlight in the plug, so this is a terrific idea to solve that problem and add decor to his room! So sweet! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really cute! Thank you so much for sharing.
    I love being a part of this show and tell!
    Thanks
    Denise
    www.dancinglydenise.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete