Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Oh, oh, oh! It's Magic...

...I know! And I DO know! What is so magical and what do I know?

I've been reading quite a few blogs and a handful of them have been going through the whole potty training experience. Since I'll be going through this in the next few months, I'm going to let you in on my little secret of what did it for Taevyn. First, let me tell you how hard it was. We read books, magazines, looked on the 'net for any ideas or tips on how to get this kid trained. We used cheerios, we bought a plain white kid toilet for him to decorate (thanks Niki), we had him choose his own undies, we let him go naked from the waste down. You name it, we tried it. I even asked him if he was afraid of the toilet, and he said "no". Why did I believe him? Because he lets us know if he's afraid to do something.


Now, I don't want you to think this kid wasn't ready, because, he was more than ready. 1.) He was almost three years old and 2.) he let us know when he did wet his pants. Besides, when a child gets a diaper, gives it to you, lays down with his hands behind his head, that is definitely a sure sign that he is ready.

Anyway, I was about to give up on the whole endeavor, thinking this kid will be 10 and still in diapers as stubborn as he is. So, what's my secret in getting your child trained so successfully? It's a household staple most home probably have anyway. It's cheap and it's oh so magical! It is:



FOOD COLORING!!!

That's right! Food coloring! One day, Taevyn and I were baking sugar cookies (I'm sure for some holiday) and while I was making the colorful frosting, I looked at the food coloring and thought "huh, I bet this will work". When daddy came home from work, I told him my idea and he agreed that this idea was nothing short of pure genious (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little, buy hey, I figured it out all by myself, so that makes me a genious in my book)! We took Taevyn in the bathroom, put 3-4 drops of red color in the toilet, daddy once again showed Taevyn how to go potty and...OH MY GOSH! The water turned orange! It was magic! Naturally, this got Taevyn to want to try it. This time we put a few drops of blue and do you know what he got? That's right folks! Green Water!

We never looked back that day and Taevyn never wet his pants again! However, after about four days, we told him the "magic" was all gone, but now that he was going potty like a big boy, we'd go get some ice cream and he was happy with that! I was not only so proud of my son for FINALLY going potty, but I was proud of myself because I found a method that truly worked!

(I know! I know! He's gonna hate me when he's older. But sometimes
it's just fun being the parent! I can't help it!)

Now, I'm hoping this same method will work when it's time for London to train. I'll let you know if it does.

10 comments:

  1. Ohhhh...what an interesting idea! I have a four year old, yes, FOUR, who is so stubborn about potty training and it's driving us nuts! He knows how to pee in the potty, and he'll do it if we stick him on there at the right time and tell him to go. But he won't do it on his own. And, if we leave a diaper off and put him in underwear...he will just pee/poo in the underwear.

    He's never pooped on the potty either. Too bad food coloring won't help with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! My kids are both well beyond potty training (thank goodness!), but I'll have to remember this for friends. And someday grandkids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is funny and just too cute! I wish i had that trick when my son was potty training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay. This idea is seriously genius! I agree with your sweet husband. ;)
    Thanks for sharing. I WILL be tryin this out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, you don't know me (came off love actually), but I just wanted to say THANK YOU! My son is 2 1/2 and is starting to show "the signs", I will definitely be trying this out! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it! May try it for my second son. My oldest we tried stickers, candy and then I gave up. When he was 3 and 4months old and I was 6 months preggo with my second one I did it. Hubby was going to be gone on buisness for two weeks. I told him that he was not a baby anymore and that the diapers belonged to a baby and they needed them. I put him in undwear and he was good. Only a few accidents. And we did "Special underwear" AKA pull ups for nap and bedtime until he was almost 5

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA! This is hilarious---that has never occurred to me. I've got a friend potty training her little boy right now. I'll tell her about this. Thanks for linking up on Love Actually today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute! I am a new friend from FF. Hope to see you over at my place sometime. Come by to say hi and become my follower. I currently have a giveaway you might want to enter. Have a great weekend.

    http://www.sixcherriesontop.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You truly are a GOD SEND! I can't believe how amazing this was. I have been trying for months to get my son potty trained. You are not the only person considering yourself a genius.... I completely agree. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so trying the food coloring idea!!! That is genius!!! Thanx for the tip : )

    P.S. hope you get your house!

    ReplyDelete