Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Special Guest Star: too Blessed to Stress

Hello My Peeps! Today I have a special guest I'd really like you to meet! She is a wonderful person and I'm so glad she came on over to chat with you! She is very crafty, has great recipes, and really knows how to make a home feel, well, blessed! After you meet her, be sure to visit her blog and I highly recommend her "Death By Chocolate"! Please welcome Mrs. Emily!



Hello Everyone! I'm Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress" and today I am so honored to be guest posting for the super cute and talented Kitschalicious. Over the last month, we've been getting to know each other in bloggyland and I must say that I am truly blessed to "know" her through emails and comment chats.


So when she said that I could guest post while she was away, I first did a happy dance. Then I panicked over what to write - I mean this is a guest post, after all! I do not want to be the one responsible for scaring all her followers away! After I recovered from the panic attack and possible overdose of sweet tea, I decided to honor what I love the most about this blog and keep the ideas simple, inexpensive, and above all family centered.


Recently a dear friend of mine asked me to come over to her home and help organize, decorate a bit, and teach her how to make a house feel more like a home. {can I just say what a complement that was - to have someone trust me with her home and want to work with little ole' me is just so cool!} She has two darling little boys who are.... well, boys! They are rambunctious, loud and sometimes messy. And that is great! That's what a home is for - playing, spending time with family, and making a mess or two. But there comes a point where the clutter and chaos reigns and the touches of beauty and romance are hidden by everyday life.




So she and I are working on introducing some simple storage solutions {that's a lot of "s" in one sentence, just saying.} to keep the clutter at bay and then focusing on inexpensive ways to beautify her home. Here are some ideas we'll be using for her main living space. They almost seem too simple. But I guarantee that they can make any space feel warmer and more inviting.





Use a dimmer switch. Any room can benefit from the use of a dimmer switch. They are not terribly expensive, but give you a whole lot of bang for your buck. Not only do dimmer switches make a space feel more romantic and cozy, they hide unsightly dust when last minute company shows up. {I would show you the lamps on the dimmer switch in my home, but almost half the lights are burnt out. for real.}





Frame it. Are your walls looking a bit bare? Find your favorite photos, get some inexpensive frames from the dollar store and use a plate rack to display them. It looks fancy, adds a personal touch to your home and keeps them away from curious little hands.





Don't even bother taking off the flappy thing on the back of the frame, that way you can switch them out whenever you feel like it.





Dollar store or thrift store candles and candle holders. Such an easy way to make a room more inviting. And chances are that each of us has a a few candles tucked away for when company comes. Time to pull them out and use them for our most special guests - our hubby and kiddos!





And if you have active kiddos who just may not play safely around an open flame, try popping one of these little flicker flames inside a pillar candle that has burnt way down leaving a crater inside. The flicker effect will be visible and no one will ever know that you have a fake tealite in there.





Chalkboards. What a great way to leave little messages around the house for those you love the most. Purchase a plain framed chalkboard and then mod podge decorative paper around the edges to make it match your decor. Craft stores carry these for $1 apiece and I have even found them in the thrift stores. Change the message out for the seasons, or leave a special love note for your kiddos and hubby.





Fresh flowers. A single little daffofil from the front yard in a thrifted crystal bud vase. So pretty. So cheery. And if it should get knocked over and broken - no worries! It was thrifted.





After turning the lights down low, adding a personal touch, and bringing in a bit of the outdoors you're all set for an elegant evening with friends or an evening wrestling match with the kids. Either way, your home will feel cozier, more inviting, and above all approachable.

3 comments:

  1. What fun homey ideas!!!! I have lots of framed pics and almost always burn candles or scentsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the ideas! I have never thought of using those flicker lights in used up pillars before. Excellent! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super ideas, Emily! And it's nice to "meet" you, Adrienne! I love your ideas over at Emily's blog. Great stuff!
    *smiles*
    debbi

    ReplyDelete