Friday, March 26, 2010

My Cake Pin Cushion & Mini Cake Plate Tutorial

It's Friday! I don't know about you, but this week flew by so fast! I've made a couple more projects and for today, I wanted to show you my Double Layer Cake Pin Cushion with the video tutorial from The DIY Dish. Check it out!

I call this Satin Velvet!

I created the flower topper with left over felt.

I bought a bag full of different trim from Hobby Lobby for $1.99 and it came with
the perfect pearl trim for some "icing".


On the video, Kris & Kim used candlesticks to display them on. Unfortunately, I didn't have one just laying around, so I had to get crafty and make this:

It's so simple to make! All you need is:
*small saucer plate
*wine glass
*strong glue (I used E6000)
*spray paint (optional)
*acrylic sealer (optional)

Directions:

1.) Wash the plate and glass. Then let it dry completely.

2.) I bought a little saucer plate at Goodwill for $0.99 and it had an image that didn't quite tickle my fancy. Luckily, I had Krylon Ivory on hand which matched the plate, so I only needed to spray the top. If you go this route, be sure to use several thin coats, rather than one heavy coat. This contains any unwanted "drips".

3.) After your plate dries, spray it with the sealer.

4.) After the sealer dries, glue the bottom of the wine glass to the bottom of the plate. It's easiest to lay the plate down, then attach the wine glass. That way you can see where to center it.

5.) When dry, turn upside down and use to hold your pin cushion!

NOTE:
Do NOT put any edible items on the plate. This is not recommended as a food dish.

Seriously, I need to complete a project before I post them. I really want to decorate my cake plate. Add some ribbon and gems around the glass and some more gems around the rim of the plate. *Sigh* One day I'll contain my excitement and actually finish the project before I post!

Before I say goodbye, I wanted to let you know I have a surprise next week, so stay tuned for that! Have a great weekend My Peeps!


I'm linking this to:

6 comments:

  1. I'm a new Friday Follower! Visit me at www.rockindeals4you.com and sign up for my first giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I love the colors.

    I'm featuring a necklace tutorial and giveaway. I'd love it if you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pin cushion is so cute.... nice idea!


    Friday Following you!

    sandy

    http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fabulous and unique idea! Totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet is that! I love the colors you chose:)Love your idea for the cake plate. very cute!!!

    I so need to make a trip back east or down south and check out this hobby lobby everyone keeps finding treasures at!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is adorable. Thanks for linking up to check me out saturdays www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete