Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Baby Shorts To Clutch Purse

Good Tuesday Morning My Peeps! I'm trusting you are having a wonderful day so far! I know I am! It's good to be back and I'm back with a vengence. Okay, not really a vengence, but I do have a great tutorial for you today. This is my first tutorial ever, so please bear with me. As far as the pictures go, they really are not the best. I have poor lighting in my dining room and no window for natural light. I know, bummer, right?

Anyway, I did this project last night and I absolutely love it! I took an old pair of London's shorts and turned it into a clutch purse. It was so easy to make, but I must warn you that the reason it was easy is because I have no idea how to make a liner. But I figured, what the hey, nobody will see the inside anyway, right? Here's how to make one for yourself (or a friend, relative, okay, you get the gist!).

MATERIALS:
*Old pair of shorts (I used size 12 mos, but you can use any size)
*Scissors
*Straight Pins
*Sewing Machine
*Thread
*Velcro
*Optional: Fabric Glue (In case you don't have the sticky back velcro like me)

DIRECTIONS:

Cut a straight line between the bottom of the shorts to make a full opening, kind of like a skirt.

Turn the shorts inside out.

Pin the legs together.
(As for the stain, I have no idea what London does sometimes, so just ignore. Heh.)

Sew a straight line all the way across. I did a couple of backstitches on both ends to keep it from coming undone.


Cut about 1/4" to 1/2" outside of the seam you just sewed.


Turn right side out.

Take your velcro...

...and adhere it to the inside of your purse.

The finished product should look like this:

And here is the inside view.
I'm not quite complete with this. I want to had some small handles and I definitely have to add some embellishments. Maybe some flowers and an applique of some sort. I just haven't decided yet.

I really hope you enjoyed this tutorial. If you have any questions, be sure to ask. I tried to explain as easy as possible. Let me know if you tried making one yourself. I'd love to see! Have a great day my friends!

I am linking this to:

Extreme Personal Measures giveaways Life in the Pitts The Trendy Treehouse


Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts
Thrifty Thursday @ Tales From Bloggeritaville

16 comments:

  1. how darling and perfect for this spring and summer. SUPER CREATIVE TOO! JGG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a cute idea!

    Please feel free to link your project up with my Talented Tuesday Link party on My Frugal Family, found at http://theherberfamily.blogspot.com/2010/03/welcome-to-talented-tuesday.html!

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. Your blog is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo! This is so adorable! I love that it has outside pockets too : ) I'll HAVE to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is such a cute idea! I would love for you to link up to check me out saturdays www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is creative. I have some shorts I was going to get rid of, NOT NOW. Woo! Hoo! I can see these in the girls Easter Baskets. How cute. Just might have to feature this one. Wink! Wink!

    Would love to have you submit this post...
    http://thetrendytreehouse.blogspot.com/2010/02/searching-for-unique-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea. It's something I have wanted to do with my girls jeans when they grow out of them. So clever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great idea...thank you... I will be on the look out for shorts now too..

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so cute! What a great idea! Come stop by my Favorite Things Friday Party if you would like to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great idea! So cute.

    Thank you for linking to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the cutest purse. It is very shabby chic.
    Win Rachael Ray bake ware at my blog.
    Thanks!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is just too cute! So glad to see you at the party again! please do stop by more often! All the best, Sara

    ReplyDelete