Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Jacket Arms Are NOT Holes!

Let me tell you a little story.

There once was a 9th grade girl who took Home Ec. One day, her teacher had assigned the class to pick a pattern she had provided. The little girl chose a dress. She went to the fabric store and bought the materials she needed. She worked and worked and worked on this dress. It was a very difficult pattern. In fact, it was so difficult, that when she had finished it, it looked NOTHING like the picture on the pattern envelope. One sleeve was longer than the other. The dress came way down to her ankles when it was supposed to be around the knees. As for the chest area? Well, let's just say it was awkwardly unfitting. From that moment on, the 9th grader swore off any kind of sewing FOREVER!

Twenty-something years later, she saw the most awesome
little girl's jacket. With the inspiration at hand, she reluctantly seemed to give it one more go. Here is the finished project:

Here is the front view of my little model!


Here is the rear view. I'm just excited that it is even with the front! :o)


Here is a closeup of the buttons. I'm not trying to brag (okay, maybe a little!), but doesn't this picture look like it should be in a catalog somewhere? Oh how my photography practice is paying off!

Okay, so I just love the next two pictures and I had to post them as well!



I have to say that I truly amazed myself when I completed this. Pretty good for a second attempt, wouldn't you say?

UPDATE: As my lovely Aunt pointed out in the comments, it was NOT thirty-something years later, more like twenty-something years later! Okay, so I didn't excel to well in math either. But shh...it's our little secret! LOL!

giveaways

I'm also linking up at "Craft Schooling Sunday"!


Whimsy Couture

8 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO! very cute, but not as cute as the little one! P.S. THE BOTTOME pic. should be in a catalog! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Thanks! You have a beautiful family by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adrienne...I am jealous AND inspired. I'll let you know if I ever finish my little sewing projects. (By the way...just how old are you???? Thirty-some years later from when you were in the 9th grade??? You must be just a little younger than me now!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute, and so great that you decided to try sewing again, I'm doing that now too! Do drop by my blog linkng party on Sunday/Monday @www.creativejewishmom.com would love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear your Home Ec experience was a bad one (I have been teaching that for 25 yrs!) So, it is with much expertise that I say "great job" on the jacket....and an even better job on your little model!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for linking up at Craft schooling Sunday! Hope to see you again this week! By the way, did you use a pattern? All the best,
    Sara @www.creativejewishmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your awesome project at Thursday’s Treasures last week! Come share your crafty projects in this week’s Thursday’s Treasures too!
    http://treasuresfortots.blogspot.com/2010/03/thursdays-treasures-week-12.html

    ReplyDelete